Neck pain is a very common medical condition that occurs due to any abnormality in the structures of the neck, which includes bones (vertebrae), nerves, muscles and the disks between the bones.
Many people experience neck pain occasionally due to poor sitting posture, bad sleeping position, stress, neck injury during exercise, sports, accident or from a fall and whiplash. Sometimes it occurs due to some diseases like arthritis, osteoporosis and fibromyalgia. Growing age also brings neck pain in some individuals.
How to Get Rid of Neck Pain
Neck pain is not a life-threatening medical condition, but it certainly makes you feel uncomfortable by restricting the movement of your neck. You cannot even perform your everyday work with an ease if you are suffering from neck pain.
There are many remedies that you can use to get rid of this uncomfortable condition called neck pain. Let’s know about these remedies to get rid of neck pain!
Ice pack helps you to get rid of neck pain that is caused due to inflammation of the neck muscles. This pack numbs the pain and reduces the inflammation effectively.
A Frozen Peas Bag or A Chilled Gel Pack
- Place the ice pack on the paining area of the neck for 15 minutes.
- Follow this method in every 2 to 3 hours to get relief from neck pain.
This remedy relieves the neck pain by increasing the blood circulation to that particular area. Heat compress also makes the stiff muscles flexible, thus helps to decrease the neck pain successfully.
A Bottle with Hot Water or a Heated Gel Pack
- Place the hot water bottle or the heated gel pack on the paining neck.
- Leave it for 15 minutes then remove it from the neck.
- Follow this method in every 3 to 4 hours to get rid of neck pain.
- Note: Do not use heat pack excessively as more heat can worsen the condition.
Cold and Heat Compress Combination
This remedy, which combines both heat compress and cold compress, will give you quick relief from the neck pain by imparting flexibility to the strained muscles of the neck. It will also help the neck muscles regain its strength quickly.
A Bag of Frozen Peas or A Chilled Gel Pack
A Bottle with Hot Water or a Heated Gel Pack
- Place the heat pack on the paining area of the neck for 15 minutes.
- Remove the heat pack and place the ice pack on the neck for 15 minutes.
- Alternate the packs simultaneously.
- Follow this remedy in every 2 to 3 hours to get rid of neck pain.
Magnesium sulphate helps to provide relief from neck pain as it makes the calcium soluble in the body which helps it to enter into the bones. Apart from that, it also repairs the damaged cells and mineralizes the bones, thus helps to relieve the pain in the neck.
Magnesium Sulphate Oil – few drops
- Take few drops of magnesium oil in your palm and massage it on the neck area.
- Massage this oil 2 to 3 times a day to get quick relief from neck pain.
Epsom Salt Bath
An Epsom salt bath can give you relief from neck pain if it is caused due to sore muscles in the neck.
Warm Water – a bathtub
Epsom Salt – 2 cups
- Add Epsom salt to the warm water and stir it with your hands to mix properly.
- Soak yourself in this water for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process daily once till you get complete relief from neck pain.
Organic sulphur works to maintain the healthy muscles, cartilage, joints and skin. It has a mechanism that reduces the pain quickly.
Organic Sulfur – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
- Mix the organic sulphur in the water properly.
- Take this drink to get rid of neck pain.
Blackstrap molasses, which is a rich source of calcium and potassium, can help you to get rid of neck pain if it is caused due to calcium and potassium deficiency.
Blackstrap Molasses – 1 tbsp
Warm Water – 1 glass
- Mix 1 tbsp of blackstrap molasses in 1 glass of water and drink it.
- Take this drink 2 times a day to relieve the neck pain.
Cayenne pepper, which is a rich source of capsaicin, treats the neck pain by reducing the impact of pain signals on the body. Capsaicin promotes the release of a compound which is said to reduce the pain in the areas of the neck and spinal cord.
Cayenne Pepper Powder – 1tsp
Warm Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mix the cayenne pepper powder in the olive oil properly to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the paining area of the neck.
- Apply this mixture daily 2 times to get relief from neck pain.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar helps to reduce the neck pain. The nutrient-rich apple cider vinegar also relieves the neck pain if it is caused due to the deficiency of nutrients.
Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Soak the towel in the apple cider vinegar and place it on the paining area of the neck.
- Leave it for 2 hours and repeat the process 2 times a day to reduce neck pain completely.
Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 cups
Warm Water – a bathtub
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to the warm water in the bathtub.
- Soak your body in this water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process daily once to get rid of neck pain.
Herbal Remedies to Relieve Neck Pain
Herbs with medicinal properties can cure many health conditions if they are used properly. There are many such herbs that can cure neck pain for sure. Let’s read on know about these amazing herbs!
The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger improve the blood circulation to the affected area of the neck, which in turn reduces the pain.
Ginger – 1 inch
Honey– 1 tsp (for taste)
Water – 2 cups
- Boil 2 cups of water in medium flame.
- Slice the ginger and add those to the boiling water, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain it, add the honey to it and stir well.
- Drink it to get relief from neck pain.
Grated Ginger – 3 tbsp
Hot water – 1 Cup
A Cheese Cloth
- Take the cheese cloth and wrap the grated ginger in it.
- Dip the ginger-wrapped cheesecloth in the hot water for 30 seconds.
- Leave it for some time so that it becomes warm, and then place it on the paining neck area.
- You can repeat this process few more times a day to get rid of neck pain soon.
Ginger Powder – 1 ½ tsp
Water – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of water and mix the ginger powder in it thoroughly.
- Drink this ginger water thrice a day to get relief from neck pain.
- You can also add a teaspoon of ginger powder to your tea every day to get the benefits.
- You can also massage few drops of ginger oil on the neck area to get rid of neck pain.
The anti-inflammatory properties of boswellia help to relieve the neck pain. Its usage decreases the cartilage damage, which creates a cushion between the discs and bones of the spine.
Boswellia Oil – few drops
- Take few drops of boswellia oil in your hand and rub it on the neck area.
- Rub this oil on your neck area in every 4 hours to get quick relief from neck pain.
The antioxidant curcumin is best known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is a rich source of curcumin, so its use can very well treat the neck pain by reducing the inflammation of the affected area.
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Milk – 1 glass
Honey – 1 tsp (for taste)
- Mix the turmeric powder in the milk.
- Heat the milk in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and stir well, and drink.
- Take this drink daily 2 times to get rid of neck pain.
Other Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of Neck pain
- Massage lavender oil in your neck and shoulder area to relieve the neck pain as it is a rich source of anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apply arnica flower extracts on the neck area for pain relief.
- Make a smooth paste by mixing devil’s claw powder and water. Apply this paste on the paining area of the neck to get rid of neck pain.
- Rub some menthol or camphor on the neck area. It will reduce the neck pain by stimulating the blood circulation to that area.
- Drink celery juice daily to get rid of neck pain which is caused due to stiffness in the area.
- Apply fresh horseradish essential oil on the neck area for few minutes to get quick relief from neck pain.
- Drink the tea brewed with St. John’s Wort powder to lessen the neck pain.
Exercises To Get Rid of Neck Pain
The exercises that are mentioned below are simple and easy to do, which will help you to get rid of neck pain that is caused due to bad posture. You need to perform these exercises in a sequence, which will alleviate the neck pain by repositioning the head and load-bearing joints (shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles).
1. Static Back
This exercise will help you to release the muscles of your neck and upper back. You need to place your shoulder and your head on the same plane.
- Lie on the floor on your back and keep your legs on a chair.
- Both your knees and hips should be at 90 degrees.
- Keep your hands on the floor at 45 degrees from your body and keep your palms on the floor facing the ceiling.
- Stay in this position for 5 to 10 minutes.
Static Extension Position
This challenging exercise will give you relief from neck pain by working on your shoulders, wrists and forearms.
- Hold your body up with the help of your knees and wrists. Your body should be parallel to the floor and the wrists under the shoulder and knees under your hips.
- Walk your hand forward about six inches and move your body forward so that your hips will move six inches in front of your knees.
- Keep your elbows straight and collapse your shoulder blades.
- Allow your head to be in hanging position.
- Relax your stomach and take a position of the lower back so that it can make an arch.
- Be in this position for 2 minutes by keeping your elbows straight.
This exercise will relieve the neck pain by relaxing the muscles of your neck and upper back. Your tailbone should lie flat on the floor.
- Lie on the floor and rest your legs straight against a wall.
- Your feet to be placed hip width apart on the wall.
- Tighten your thighs and pull back your toes.
- Hold this position for 3 minutes.
Sitting on the Floor
This simple exercise will work by activating the muscles of your shoulder and upper back. This exercise will help you to get rid of neck pain by keeping the spine and shoulder in the proper place.
- Sit on the floor by resting your back against the wall. Your feet should be hip-width apart.
- Rest your hands on your lap.
- Your head should touch the wall.
- Tighten your thighs and pull your toes back.
- Hold this position for 3 minutes.
This exercise works on the neck pain by releasing the muscles of the groin and inner thigh.
- Lie on the floor on your back, feet together and knees wide apart.
- Keep your palms on the floor at 45degrees to your body.
- Be in this position for 2 minutes and breathe while being in this position.
Other Exercises to Get Rid of Neck Pain
There are two more simple exercises, such as gentle range-of-motion exercises and isometric exercises that you can perform to get rid of neck pain.
Range-of-motion exercises work by stretching the neck muscles.
- Sit erect on the floor and slowly move your head to the right as much as possible.
- Hold for a minute and then return to the initial position.
- Repeat the same movement for the left and return to the initial position.
- Move your head down towards the chin and chest, and hold for some time.
- Return to the initial position and then tilt your head to the left shoulder.
- Return to the initial position and repeat the same for the right shoulder.
Isometric exercises are performed against resistance.
- Sit erect on the floor and press your forehead with your palm. Here your palm should resist the motion.
- Keep your right hand on the right side of your head and press your head against your hand. Your hand should resist your head’s motion. Repeat the same process for the left side.
- Keep both of your hands on the back of your head and press your head against your hands. Your hands should resist your head’s movement.
- Press the right side of your face with your right hand and then press the left side of your face with your left hand. Your hand should resist the turning motion of the face.
Use these remedies as well as follow the tips that are mentioned below to keep neck pain at bay.
- Perform simple neck exercises every day.
- Maintain a proper sitting posture. Do not sit or stand in one posture for a longer period of time.
- Use a firm neck pillow to keep neck pain at bay.
- Position your computer monitor at eye level.
- Avoid taking stress as it is considered as one of the main causes of neck pain.
- Give gentle massages to your neck every day.
- Swim regularly to strengthen the neck muscles.
- Take rest and take a break from your regular exercise routine if you have neck pain.
- Do not wear a neck collar without the advice of your doctor as it may worsen the condition.
- Avoid driving if you are unable to move your head due to neck pain.
- Eat foods rich in resveratrol, such as blueberry, red grapes, peanut butter, dark chocolate, etc.
- Get 15 to 20 minutes of sun exposure to get the Vitamin D, which will help you experience less pain.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
- Get enough sleep.
I am sure that if you follow these remedies as well as perform the exercises, you will get relief from neck pain. But after doing all these things if your neck pain continues for more than a week or if it is spreading down to your legs and arms, then it is advisable to consult a doctor to know the underlying condition.
Please like us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Wikidok360/
Thank you for taking your time for this post and if you found interesting or useful information, share them with your family, friends and colleagues, because maybe they will benefit from this information too.We appreciate your support by sharing this free information.