Super-simple DIY air conditioner out of cheap household items
Air conditioners are the best way of beating the scorching summer heat. They can be helpful in making the hot summer days bearable and also improve the indoor air quality.
If you’re struggling with the heat this summer and are without an AC unit (or at least a working one), we will show you how to make your own super-simple DIY air conditioner out of cheap household items. All you need is a spare 15 minutes.
5 DIY Cooling Tricks
1. Minimalist Solution
Using a fan is not always the solution because it often blows around the warm muggy air that you’re already sitting in. Instead, use this trick and you’ll be cool in minutes!
Take a shallow bowl and fill it with ice. Put the bowl in front of the fan and there you have it cold air!
2. Cooling Curtains
If opening a window hasn’t helped cool your room or house down then this is your solution. All you need is a sheet and some cold water. Spray the sheet with some cold water and cover it over the window. This will help reduce the temperature in your house! The warm air that is outside will be transformed into cold air and soon you’ll be cool and comfortable.
Alternatively, you can air dry your sheets by hanging them by a window. This will produce the same effect while killing two birds with one stone
3. Window Timing
If you feel like opening your windows is only keeping your house warm then try this. Since it is so much cooler at night it is better to keep your windows open then. During the day when the sun is up the windows should be closed. Open when the sun is down, closed when the sun is up.
Here’s another tip: If you place a few fans on opposite sides of the room with the window open the breeze will flow through!
4. Turn Off Your Electronics
We have so many objects and appliances that radiate heat like our computers, your drier and even your dishwasher. By just turning these things off when you’re not using them you not only save electricity but save yourself from the extra heat radiating off of them.
5. Make Your Own Air Conditioner
As you saw in the video above, making your own air conditioner is a lot easier than it sounds. Here is another way to make your air conditioner.
How to Make Your Own Air Conditioner
- A small fan
- A plastic cooler
- A Dryer vent
- Duct tape
- A razor
- A marker
- Trace the outline of the fan (face down) and vent on the top of the cooler, leaving a significant space between each one.
- Cut out the tracings and discard the excess plastic. Be conservative: cut closer to the lines and adjust to make it bigger if necessary.
- Cut off 10” from the dryer vent.
- Bend it into an L shape and place it in the designated hole, securing it with duct tape.
- Fill the cooler with ice or frozen water bottles.
- Place the lid on the cooler and place the fan over the remaining hole.
- Turn on the fan and enjoy!
Source: dailyhealthpost, familylifegoals.