Wheezing is a high-pitched whistling sound that occurs during breathing . It’s heard most clearly when you exhale, but in severe cases it can be heard when you inhale. It’s caused by narrowed airways or inflammation.
Narrowed airways can be due to:
- Bronchospasm. This means that the muscle within the lining of the airways contracts. This has an effect of narrowing (constricting) the airways
- Anaphylaxis (a severe allergic reaction, such as to an insect bite or medication)Swelling of the lining of the airways.
- A lot of secretions (mucus, etc) in the airways
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and other lung diseases
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- An inhaled object. For example, if you inhale a peanut (which is not uncommon in children)
- An abnormal growth in the airway, such as a tumour (cancer).
- Vocal cord dysfunction (a condition that affects vocal cord movement)
- Heart failure
- Placing a hot towel on the chest and shoulder every 30 minutes relaxes and calms the nerves. Inhaling steam from a humidifier relieves spasms.
- Chewing two to three garlic cloves a day or adding a small amount of garlic juice to vegetable juice are other remedies for wheezing.This medicinal bulb can be used for treating a number of diseases like asthma wheezing and also bacterial infections like cough, which too can cause mucous build up in the bronchial tubes and cause asthma wheezing.
- Pulmonary rehab (a breathing exercise program) helps to strengthen the lungs. And stopping smoking is essential to treat emphysema.
- The juice of lemon when taken every day will keep the mucous under control and prevent the clogging of the airways that cause asthma wheezing.
- Slowly sipping a glass of hot water containing a few cloves can be relieving.
- Having antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties, turmeric too is a wonderful remedy for treating asthma wheezing. Take half a teaspoon of freshly ground powder of turmeric and add it to a glass of warm water. Drink this every day for asthma wheezing to come down. With continuous intake, the symptoms too will be reduced and the patient will have better control of asthma. It is the curcumin that is present in turmeric that has anti inflammatory properties.
- Drinking plenty of water, more than the recommended eight to nine glasses per day, helps to relieve wheezing.
- Honey is also an immune system booster and hence helps in removing asthma wheezing within a few hours of inhalation and internal intake. Take organic honey in a jar and inhale the aroma. You can also take a teaspoon of honey several times a day for reducing the inflammation.
- A teaspoon of fresh lemon or lime juice several times a day before or after meals can relieve mild asthmatic wheezing, as can broth.
- Mustard oil is known to break down mucous build up inside the airways and offer relief from asthma wheezing. Mixing it with camphor will help in increasing the effectiveness of the home remedy. Take some mustard oil and warm it slightly. Add some camphor powder and mix well.
- Teas, such as ginger, chamomile, or geranium, are soothing.
- Eucalyptus oil is known to open the blocked air passages and offer instant relief from asthma wheezing. Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and add to the pot of boiling water which you use for steam inhalation. Inhale the fumes for instant relief. When you sleep, eucalyptus oil can be sprayed on your pillow or a handkerchief and kept near your nose. This will ensure that the air passages are clear and the asthma wheezing is under control.
- Coffee is considered as natural remedy to reduce the symptoms. This hot beverage will help you thin the obstructive phlegm while caffeine contained in coffee can help you to reduce inflammation and let the airway passage open. Therefore, drinking moderate coffee a day will make the patients with asthma and wheezing breathe easily. If you want to drink coffee, it is important to make sure that you do not add milk into the coffee. The reason may be that milk can cause mucous.
Thanks for reading, Comment below and don’t forget to share with your friends and family.